Do you need help ensuring that your child is able to get the best educational programs and services available? I can help.
I advocate for families to help ensure that their special needs children receive the best educational programs and services available. My services for families include:
Assess Educational Situations
After meeting with a family, I am available to:
- Observe children in current school programs,
- Visit and evaluate alternative or proposed educational placements, and
- Interpret assessments as needed.
Develop Individual Education Plans (IEPs)
In consultation with the family and educators, I can:
- Synthesize developmental history, interpret previous and current evaluations, review school history and evaluate information necessary to formulate educational recommendations,
- Prepare original draft IEPs for parents and educators,
- Critique and provide input into existing IEPs,
- Develop 504 plans, and
- Recommend educational programs and appropriate teaching techniques to best meet a child’s needs.
I serve as an effective case manager and liaison to ensure ongoing communication between the family, school personnel and outside professional staff. I can:
- Provide parents with a single point of contact to facilitate inquiries and timely responses from multiple individuals involved in a child’s case,
- Negotiate the complex special education maze, and
- Refer family to appropriate professionals for additional services.
Parent Advocacy Training
I am available to:
- Explain assessments, evaluations, and reports from clinical specialists;
- Attend school meetings with parents,
- Negotiate services, programs, and other resources as recommended, and
- Provide training to parents about education laws, parental rights under IDEA, and effective advocacy techniques.